We write about products and services that we use. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
Ok kids, stick out that bottom lip, turn on the puppy eyes, and guilt encourage your parents to get your family involved in Earth Hour!
As I mentioned before, in my warning about the steel chair weilding panda bears, the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has an awesome Earth Hour Kids website!
I recently got to sit down with the man behind the Earth Hour Kids theme song (the one you hear playing on the Earth Hour Kids site), and he’s got some great ideas to make Earth Hour FUN for the whole family!
“Earthman” Lanny Smith is the man behind the song.
Who is Lanny?
“[Lanny Smith] is known to millions of children and adults as the “Earthman”. He founded the non-profit organization, The Earthman Project, to use the power of music, the arts and the web to educate, and then activate people. The Earthman is an award winning songwriter/environmental performing artist!”
FUN Family Earth Hour Ideas:
- Take the Earth Hour to Earth Day (EH2ED) Challenge as a family.
- Play some fun games at the Earth Hour Kids website.
- Invite a bunch of friends over and have a green themed Earth Hour party. (PARENTS: That means some green apple martinis for you!)
- Enjoy some kid-friendly Earth Hour activities (arranged by age group).
- Use a telescope to check out the stars without the annoying light pollution that city lights usually supply. How many constellations can you find?
- Check out more fun Earth Hour ideas [word doc] from the WWF.
Last but not least, check out and spread the video of “In This Earth Hour”, the Earth Hour kids theme song. (Remember, it’s a KID’S song!):
What’s your family gonna do for Earth Hour?
I think every little step toward living green is an awesome one… but eco-snobbery sucks! My goal is to help newbies learn the most important steps toward living green — individually and collectively. Personally, I strive to have as little impact as possible on Planet Earth while I'm here.