OK, if you didn’t get anything on our Green Gifts for Guys list or our Green Gifts for Girls list and you put off buying a Christmas gift for someone (or more than one person) altogether up until now, here are 7 green gift ideas that you can create or purchase to save your ass.
1. Coupon Booklet. Whether for ‘free dinners,’ ‘free massages,’ ‘free breakfasts in bed,’ ‘free something else (wink wink),’ or some combination of those, make your own coupon booklet for this special person.
2. Bake an organic cake, cookies or eco-Oreo truffles. Who doesn’t love cake and cookies? Or, alternatively, make them a cookbook with your own green recipes.
3. A subscription to Netflix. The options vary from one month to one year. Why is this green? Watching movies at home saves gas, electricity, and money. A triple win.
4. You can still adopt an animal for someone from WWF or Defenders of Wildlife and have the gift adoption kit delivered by Christmas with express shipping (or delivered a little after Christmas for free — I just chose this option for someone). I think you’ve only got one day left on this one in order to have it delivered by Christmas, though. So, if you want to do this one, act fast.
5. Make a personalized calendar using recycled paper or blank sheets of paper from an old notebook. For the pictures, use old photos of the giftee that aren’t being utilized.
6. Looking for a gift for a nature or science lover? (and have a bit of money to spend on them?) Consider a subscription to Nature. $199 for one year or $338 for two.
7. A monthly or yearly transit ticket. This is about as green as it gets, and you can also point out to the person that riding transit can save them approximately $10,000 year (of course, make sure this is an option they’d be into first).
And, if you’re going to wrap one of these presents, don’t forget to use one of these 8 green alternatives to wrapping paper.